LLB and LLM (Hanoi)
Tel: +84 24 3971 0888
Fax: +84 24 3971 0889
Nguyen Ngoc Quy is a Partner of Lexcomm Vietnam LLC and Head of Banking and Capital Markets.
Quy is a stellar Vietnam qualified lawyer with almost 20 years of transactional experience advising both multinational and domestic clients on a wide range of matters including banking and finance, derivatives, capital markets, project finance, corporate finance, M&A transactions, venture capital, securities, general commercial and other aspects of investment and corporate law in Vietnam.
Quy has been distinctively ranked as Recommended Lawyer and Next Generation Partner by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021.
Quy is admitted to practice in Vietnam as a qualified lawyer of the Hanoi Bar Association and a member of the Vietnam Bar Federation.
Quy holds a Bachelor of Laws from Hanoi Law University and a Master of Laws (LLM in Commercial Law) from the Vietnam National University, Hanoi.
Prior to joining Lexcomm, Quy practiced in Hanoi with a UK-headquartered Magic Circle law firm Allen & Overy as a senior associate in its Vietnam practice for almost 7 years. Before that he was with another international law firm Mayer Brown as a senior associate for 5 years.
Quy has involved in a variety of Vietnam's most complex and high-profile transactions and projects, including advising:
Debt and equity capital markets
• Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse as bookrunners on Vinpearl’s USD325m Reg-S only exchangeable bond listed on the SGX. This transaction is the first exchangeable bond by a Vietnamese issuer.
• Credit Suisse as sole lead manager on Vinpearl’s USD125m Reg-S only exchangeable bond listed on the SGX. This bond is consolidated and forms a single series with the USD325m Reg-S exchangeable bond.
• Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and Saigon Securities as joint managers, on Vincom Retail’s Rule 144A USD700m offering of secondary shares and listing on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange. This transaction. PE Deal of the Year, FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2017.
• Morgan Stanley and Deutsche Bank, as joint global coordinators on the Techcombank Rule 144A USD900m initial equity offering and listing on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange.
• Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, HSBC and Maybank, as joint bookrunners on the Vinhomes Rule 144A USD1.3bn initial equity offering and listing on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange. This transaction is the largest ever offering in Vietnam.
• The Government of Vietnam on a USD1bn Rule 144A/Reg S sovereign bond offering (liability management exercise). Best Bond – Vietnam, The Asset Triple A Country Awards 2015.
• Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility (CGIF) on the guarantee of the issuances of VND denominated bonds issued by a number of Vietnamese companies, including Mobile World Investment Group, Masan Consumer, Vingroup.
• Elara Capital on the listing by Hoang Anh Gia Lai JSC (HAGL) on the Official List of the UK Listing Authority and to trading on the London Stock Exchange - the first overseas listing for a Vietnamese company.
Banking and finance
• Credit Suisse and HSBC as arrangers of a USD950m Hermes covered term loan for Vinfast, a subsidiary of Vingroup.
• Credit Suisse, HSBC and other banks as arrangers of a USD400m term loan for Vinfast, a subsidiary of Vingroup.
• Credit Suisse as arranger of a USD300m term loan for Vingroup secured by guarantees and a pledge over shares.
• HSBC as facility agent and lender and ANZ, VIB, Vietcombank, SMBC as lenders of a VND4,014 billion for Vietnamobile.
• HSBC as facility agent of a USD110m 3 year term loan for Vietnamobile guaranteed by CK Hutchison Holdings Limited.
• HSBC as facility agent of a USD170m 364 day revolving facility for Vietnamobile guaranteed by CK Hutchison Holdings Limited.
• Credit Suisse on its USD100m convertible loan facility to Novaland.
• Deutsche Bank on its USD100m loan to VPBank Finance Company Limited (FE Credit), one of Vietnam’s leading consumer finance companies.
• Deutsche Bank on its USD100m loan to Vietinbank, one of Vietnam’s leading state-owned bank.
• Deutsche Bank on its USD65m equity margin loan to WP INVESTMENTS III B.V. secured by listed shares on HOSE.
• International financiers on an aircraft financing transaction in connection with Vietnam Airlines.
• International financiers on an aircraft financing transaction in connection with Vietjet.
• An aircraft leasing company on an aircraft financing transaction in connection with Vietnam Airlines.
• Citibank, Ho Chi Minh City branch on ISDA Master Agreement and Schedule and legal opinion on derivatives.
• MUFG (formerly BTMU), Vietnam branch on ISDA Master Agreement and Schedule.
• Bank of China on ISDA Master Agreement and Schedule, and legal opinion on derivatives.
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BoAML) on deltaone warrant over Vietnamese shares.
• Goldman Sachs on warrants that reference underlying shares listed on stock exchange in Vietnam.
Energy and infrastructure
• Citibank, KEXIM, K-sure and the lenderson the USD1.5bn 1,200W Song Hau 1 super-critical coal-fired power project.
• The lenders including China Development Bank, China Exim Bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Bank of China and China Construction Bank on the project financing of the Vinh Tan 1 BOT power project in Vietnam invested in by China Southern Power Grid Corporation, China Power International and Vinacomin. Awarded Project Finance Deal of the Year, IFLR Asia Awards 2016. This was the first Chinese-sponsored, Chinese-financed IPP in Vietnam and the largest project financings in Vietnam for BOT power projects.
• Lenders on the Vung Ang II BOT Coal Fired Power Project.
• Long Son Petrochemicals Co., Ltd. and SCG Chemicals Co., Ltd on EPC contracts.
• Vinacomin Power on a USD200 million NEXI-backed facility agreement with syndicated lenders SMBC, ANZ and Deutsche Bank, for the financing of the Dong Nai 5 hydropower plant.